Can’t Keep Chlorine in Pool
There are a number of factors that can lead to a rapid deterioration of chlorine.
Lack of stabilizer
- Stabilizer is used in pools to protect them from chlorine evaporation caused by the sun’s rays. A low stabilizer (cyanuric acid) level means that free chlorine is not protected. (Note: an excessively high level of stabilizer will decrease chlorine’s disinfecting power.) The ideal level for stabilizer is between 30 and 50 ppm. (Note – changed this number to be 50 to keep it consistent with the stated number below in 7:5)
- Test stabilizer (cyanuric acid) levels
- Use Stab/Cond to raise to a minimum of 30 ppm
Phosphates are present
- Phosphates are a by-product of phosphorus and are the 11th most abundant mineral on earth and can easily be found in most tap water.
- In addition, phosphates are nutrients for and a by-product of algae when it dies.
- Use Phosphate Rem